Staycations are extremely useful when one has time or budget limitations. A staycation is also perfect when travel restrictions are in place, like we experienced in 2020 because of the Coronavirus. Also, staycations are a great way to reduce the stress that can go along with distance travel associated with vacations. Bottom-line, it’s not the destination but the mindset and the plans we create for ourselves and our family! Be sure to have fun and look at your staycation with your inner child at heart…
How Can I Enjoy My Staycation?
This is the trickiest part for most people… typically people may not think they’re having a break just because you didn’t go far from home. Remember, it’s your responsibility to introduce ways for you to disconnect from the daily routine completely. Try turning off your smartphone, don’t check your email personal or work, and as challenging as this can be make sure you don’t feel the guilty for not answering work calls and requests immediately.
You need to consider your staycation as a real vacation: don’t set your alarm clock, don’t bother reading office news and, enjoy the simple pleasure you reserve for special occasions. Splurge and treat yourself to experiences you would gladly make also if you on a vacation anywhere in this big world and don’t worry if you decide to have dessert first, it’s your vacation!
List of 15 Staycation Ideas in Scott County:
- Play tourist in your own hometown with friends and family from out of town
- Try a fitness class or go workout at the YMCA
- Volunteer at a local charity
- Host a party
- Go to your favorite restaurant
- Go to a hotel in your hometown for a night or two
- Set up a scavenger hunt
- Shop at a local store you have never shopped
- Visit the Scott County Heritage Center & Museum
- Go to a local restaurant you have never tried before
- Play with goats at Goat Milk Stuff
- Follow the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Civil War Trail through Scott County
- Get your picture taken on the Interurban Train at Lake Iola
- Walk across the Leota Covered Bridge at sunset
- Hike a portion of the Knobstone Trail
Remember you don’t have to go somewhere to have fun… you are in control of your attitude and can make fun anywhere you go even if it’s just down the road or around the corner in your own hometown.