Scott County Historical Marker Self-Guided Driving Tour

There are over 430 historical markers in 90 of 92 counties in the State of Indiana.  Scott County is distinguished to have 15 significant moments in history worthy of note in Scott County and Indiana’s storied history.  


The following identifies each of the 15 Historical Markers in Scott County with a brief description of that moment in time for Scott County.  With each stop along the way, you’ll find the past is always present in Scott County.


(Click Photos to enlarge!)


Clark’s Grant Northern boundary – 150,000-acre land grant provided by Virginia in 1781 to General George Rogers Clark and his men for Revolutionary War service.

Hwy 3 & Kinderhook Road, Scottsburg


John Kimberlin Farm – Kimberlin was first to purchase land in Scott County, Tract 264 of Clark’s Grant, in 1804.

5765 South Westport Road, Nabb

Pigeon Roost – A community established here in 1809 was attacked by Indians on September 3, 1812; 15 children and 9 adults were massacres; only one family escaped.

US 31, Pigeon Roost Historic Site, south of Scottsburg


Site of Western Eagle – The Western Eagle was second Indiana Territory newspaper. Moved to Lexington in 1815 from Madison. Jacob Rhoads, publisher, was official printer for Indiana Territory 1814-1816.

Main and Mulberry Streets, Lexington


Lexington First County Seat -Scott County was created in 1820 with Lexington as county seat. Several attempts made to relocate seat to more central location. 1870 Petition to County Commissioners was successful with Scottsburg becoming new county seat.

Lexington Square


Town of Austin Platted in 1853 after the completion of the Jeffersonville Railroad. Tradition is that town was named by Mexican American War veterans who had served in Austin, Texas and had received land vouchers.

U.S. 31 & Morgan Drive, Austin

Morgan’s Raid 1863 – During the Civil War, Con­ federate General John Hunt Morgan led a raid through southern Indiana reaching Vienna on July 10. There they burned the railroad bridge and depot and tapped the telegraph line before moving on to Lexington.

Highway 356 at the Railroad Crossing, Vienna

Morgan’s Raid July 8-13, 1863 – Confederate Gen. John Hunt Morgan and his staff spent the night of July 10, 1863, in Lexington. He left for Vernon on the morning of July 11, 1863. Morgan and part of his force were captured in eastern Ohio.

Lexington Square


Site of William H. English Home English (1822- 1896), politician, banker, and historian, served as secretary of 1850 Indiana Constitutional Convention, as Speaker of Indiana House, and in U.S. House. Candidate for U.S. Vice President, 1880; President, Indiana Historical Society.

S.R. 201, Englishton Park, Lexington

Marshfield Robbery – One of the earliest U.S. train robberies occurred here on the Jeffersonville Railroad in 1868. Reno Gang members from Jack­son County were arrested but lynched by vigilantes before they were ever tried.

Highway 56 North & Teell Road, Scottsburg

The Scott County, Indiana visitors center being passed by a freight train.

Scottsburg Train Depot – Built in 1872 as one of the classic “combination” depots for passengers and freight. Served as depot until early 1950s. Moved one block north, restored, and now known as Scottsburg Heritage Station.

90n North Main Street, Scottsburg


Scott County Courthouse – County formed in 1820 with first county seat at Lexington. Scottsburg designated second county seat in 1871 with second county courthouse built here 1873-1874.

1  East McClain Avenue, Scottsburg

County Home – Built in 1892 on the 180-acre County Farm. First County Home was in Lexington. Now the home of the Scott County Heritage Center & Museum. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, 2000.

1050 South Main Street, Scottsburg


Scott County’s Carnegie Library – Scott County Commissioners appointed a library board in 1917. Funding was raised locally and through a Carnegie grant to construct the library that opened in 1921. An addition was made in 1986.

Main & Wardell Streets, Scottsburg

Lake Iola Interurban Site – Indianapolis and Louisville Traction Company built track between Seymour and Sellersburg as part of the interurban line which extended from Indianapolis to Louisville. Lake Iola created as water source for power equipment.

Lakeview & Lakeshore Drives, Scottsburg